mamtc

mamtc

Monday, July 9, 2012

Tithonus and Bhishmar - Senile peter pans

Greek mythology: Tithonus
Tithonus - Son of King Laomedon and water mymph Strymo.
Image source
Lust of Eos:
Eos the amorous biracial - greek titaness and goddess of Dawn fell in love with this guy. Her fling with Ares caused her to be cursed with unsatisfiable sexual desire by the jealous Aphrodite.
Chase:
So, she kidnapped him to added him to list of her male-concubines.
Gift and the curse:
She asked Zeus to make him immortal and Zeus granted her wish but she forgot to ask for eternal youth. And yes Zeus granted the gift of immortality with curse of not granting eternal youth.
Senile life:
So, he lived forever, wrinkled. He babbled  forever. Maybe had Alzehimer's too.



Hindu mythology: Bhismar
Image source
Bhishmar - Son of King Shantanu and River Ganges
Lust of Shantanu:
Shantanu wanted to marry the fisherman's daughter Satyavati. His son Bhisma volunteered to be the matchmaker and approached Satyavati's dad and asked him to marry off his daughter to his dad. Satyavati's dad asked for reverse dowry.
Dowry is what father of the bride is  supposed to give groom's family. Here the father-of the bride asked for dowry to son of the groom.
Chase:
He asked Bhimsa to give up throne, to which Bhisma agreed, and when the dad still hesitated that his kids may claim in future, he took celibacy oath of life, so that no children shall be born to him to claim the throne from his legacy.
Too bad, neither of them knew about IUI and IVF else he would have become virgin-dad.
Gift and the curse:
The proud dad Shantanu, yep pleased with his son's pimping skills, offered him a boon that Bhisma would regret forever.
He gave his son the gift to live forever with curse of no eternal youth. Bhimsa got the boon that let him choose the time of his death.
Senile life:
In Mahabharatha war, Arjuna his grand-grand-grand-grand son, shot arrows at him and pierced the entire body.
This guy had to live and endure the pain and suffering from that and stayed alive in the battlefield till the end of the war.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Immortality without eternal youth is like buying luxury cars without warranty or free service coupons (Thanks ABFTS)

I know we have too many lessons to be learned or too many morals to be drawn from this, but I am gagging on those, would you like to share your moral of the story?

For more comparitive mythology stories, go here

17 comments:

  1. "cursed with unsatisfiable sexual desire "
    where can I buy me someone like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome... I think. I wonder what a 1 million year old man looks like without eternal youth. Like Lindsay Lohan, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, that would be blah indeed. Be a sack of bones walking around, if you could even walk. Would not want to be immortal like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Dez said! I want me one of those! Just put the curse on my wife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So what you're saying is that if I'm to be bitten by a vampire, I should have had it done 20 years ago. If I were to be bitten now I'd go through eternity with bad eyes and saggy boobs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother always told me to be very specific when asking for favors, or a wish. Most often, they come true, and it's rarely ever good. "I wish for a new car" means the one currently being used will break down will little hope of ever being of use again. That leaves one taking out a loan, and having to make payments for a thousand years. "I wish I was pretty" turn into colliding against a wall, and needed facial reconstructive surgery.

    I don't want immortality. 300 years would be enough to get everything I want in, while not getting bitter, and hating humanity. Some really talented people manage to do that in twenty years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Anne on this one. If I'm doomed with immortality than it should have happened in my mid twenties when I had a rocking body. However, in my mid twenties, I wasn't nearly as wise I think I am now, just ask me and I'll tell you how wise I think I am now (kidding!!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that how most things start?? It all starts with a man and a beautiful woman with some jealous biotch. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's one of those things where I say

    I wish
    I wish
    I wish I was a fish.

    Then I get paranoid that it'll come true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tit on us - Son of King Lame-o-don and water nymph Steryo.

    that is honestly how I read the first line the first time.

    and who buys warranties on cars anyways... weirdos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geeze immorality without youth sounds awful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The eternal life without youth curse shows up again in Gulliver's Travels, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The moral of the story is.. we human beings come up with these myths to feel good about our wrinkles and our pathetically stort lives. Amen. Applause is in order. Thank you very much. Have a nice day for our time is limited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Immortality sucks huge.
    You would spend so much time in prison if you were sentenced to life in prison. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Gift and the curse: She asked Zeus to make him immortal and Zeus granted her wish but she forgot to ask for eternal youth. And yes Zeus granted the gift of immortality with curse of not granting eternal youth. "

    I guess you gotta watch your wording with the big man; living as a bag of bones forever would suck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tithonus: be careful what you wish for.

    Bhismar: never trust the inlaws!

    ReplyDelete