mamtc

mamtc

Monday, July 16, 2012

Pelops and Chiralan - Sons offered as feast to Gods


 Pelops people at Zeu#83FF6.jpg
Image source
Greek mythology:
Pelops:
Son of Tantalus, king of Mt.Sipylus.
Cannibal feast:
To offer Olympians maybe to humiliate them, the dad voluntarily cut his son Pelops into pieces and made his flesh into a stew and served it to gods.
Demeter, who was mourning about her daughter's kidnap by Hdes wasnt thinking and ate the shoulder and the stew. The other gods understood the plot and got angry.
Resurrection:
They brought Pelops back to life with the remains but since his shoulder was digested by Demeter, had to be replaced with ivory.
Gift:
After Pelops' resurrection,he was taken to Olympus, was taught drive the divine chariot.

Hindu mythology:
Sreeralan/Chiralan:
Son of Sirutonda, king of Chola dynasty.
Prelude:
South-Indian puranas insist on importance of panhandling and "guest is god" mantra, in hinduism it is a great sin to deny food to a hungry soul and greater the sin to treat guests with disrespect. And if the beggar is a devotee of Shiva, all the more sinful.
Source
They have thousands of stories to insist this and playful avatar/disguise stories of the gods to test their devotee's devotion. This is one of them.

Cannibal dinner:
Lord Shiva once disguised as Vairavar and visited Sirutonda nayanar and asked for food.
He asked for a 5 year old boy without deformities to be cooked and served.
The parents compiled and happily cooked their son except the head and served their guest - panhandling devotee of Lord Shiva.

Resurrection:
Both started to eat and Vairavar insisted Chirutonda to ask his son to join the dinner. The confused helpless Sirutonda Nayyanar didnt know what to do and not to offend the guest he went out and called for his son, to both parent's surprise their son came running back.
The parents were so happy and rushed to see the guest, the dinner and the guest both had disappeared.
Gift:
The lord Shiva, his wife Parvati and his sons Ganesha and Murugan showed up and blessed the family and took them to their abode in heaven and gave them place to reside there.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
You can accept and comply to the request of a cannibal only if he/she has the ability to resurrect.
Armin Meiwas - german cannibal , that Florida guy -Tyree Lincoln Smith can't bring you back to life, so politely refuse to serve them or to be served and call 911.

My mom, while growing up, she would tell all these stories and read articles from newspapers about black magic which would say that all sacrifices would ask for the first born child. And she would say that a mom's position is justified if she has to sacrifice her kid, because she could pop out any baby anytime before menopause but if she looses her husband she just becomes an outcast. That taught me my place and deep inside that I should never say no to her, till today ;-)

I behaved, I behave and I will behave, mommy. Indian tiger parenting for you all. ;-)

31 comments:

  1. My mom just threatened to beat the faeces out of me on a regular basis or get my dad to do it but that's the Irish for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never knew that there could be possibility for this in Irish. To me Ireland is like neverland, magical place with rainbows and leprechauns and fairys and free beer rivers and mullets.

      Delete
  2. An ivory shoulder sounds kinda stiff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But costly Adam, ivory is expensive. Like crown in one's mouth instead of teeth? I have only ceramic one ;-)

      Delete
  3. Can't say I'd ever comply to a cannibal and yeah I was threatened too to stay in line, usually worked, not all the time though haha. And you talk about the cat and poo, well you have a thing for naked rear ends on your blog hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone threatened you? Wow, that's news. I wont have bet on you to stay in line either.

      How much Anne tries, you dont seem to learn the lesson.

      And about the ass, you got me finally, yep that is why I am constantly asking you to moon in your blog. But you dont seem to comply.

      Actually, no greek god picture is available without that nudity or partial nudity. Me not interested in men's butt, if women's then we could talk ;-)

      Delete
    2. Well if you want to see the cat's ass who's a male and then see female's too, I guess you just want to be greedy and have both.

      Delete
    3. Hey, I am kidding there. :)

      I dont like men's ass. You had been flaunting about your ass too long and too loud so I am intrigued to see whether it looks like a lady's ass as I imagined it to be. ;-)
      If your ass doesnt look like a lady's ass, dont bother. ;-)

      Delete
  4. This is what comes from hanging out with a deity-cannibalism. I never want to come to one's attention.

    You had it bad as a kid. Now I see why children from India are so well behaved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, cannibals and deity-cannibals is like worse case of plague. :)

      Yep, Anne, it is not a choice for Indian kids to misbehave ;-)
      And my kids' threat to call 911 for every NO of mine should prove that I havent inherited the "high quality" "Indian parenting style".

      Maybe I should send them on vacation to their grandma's. (NO NEVER, but I could always threaten them so ;-) )

      Delete
    2. No. That's not because of you. It's because of those free-willing tech-savvy yes-son/daughter Americans raising their kids in a politically correct world that the traditional Indian values of slapping and sharing beds with kids are becoming rarer and rarer everyday.

      Delete
  5. poor ancient kids who had to grow up listening to such bizarre mythological stories :(
    And poor little you, can't believe your mum was so harsh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you call me ancient? No Dez, I am young, my age froze at 30.

      Yeah, couldnt imagine how kids in olden times had to listen to stories like this and play and study. I have lost many night's sleep.

      My mom was bizarre and cruel alright, her verbual abuse leaves a deeper scar than her physical abuse, but that only helped me to rebel and repel more. I was no angel either. Me little big troublemaker tomboy. But I was ok in academics that usually gives free ticket in Indian culture :)

      Delete
  6. What a test of one's devotion ~ In the biblical context, like Abraham offering his beloved son as sacrificial lamb ~

    Enjoyed the tales ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, what's with the ancient dads? Either they would pay silver pennies to marry off their daughter's to their rapists or kill their son to please god.

      Thank god, they were able to revive them.

      Delete
  7. I just love the image of Demeter that I got, crying into her food, but stuffing her face nonetheless. It's like me with cake. I may refuse actual nutritious food if I am upset, but push a cake over my way, and I'll gobble it up.

    I am so glad my mother told us to stay very quiet if we heard the doorbell ring. We hated answering the door because we hated guests. I can only imagine what would have happened if someone wanted to eat me. My mother would have said 'no', but my father....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one Nellie. I love your comments :)

      What was she thinking? Oh my daughter is kidnapped how what should I do? Now where is the fridge? How about this feast invite and hot stew?

      And about guest asking for dinner,would be other way around, my mom would first hate Newton's law - the energy which cant be created or destroyed but only can change form, because what if the guest had ability to bring me back from ashes, that would devastate her.

      Delete
  8. "The parents happily complied and cooked up their son" NICE. I'm sure he felt an overwhelming sense of love for his parents when he rushed back through after resurrection! Is it ok to cook your parents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comment of the day Juliette. Yeah, what would have the kid thought? Oh yeah, they cooked me before, how should I run back into their arms and ask them to chop my head immediately so that I dont feel the pain?

      In Hinduism, animal sacrifices would start off with spraying water on the goat face, the goat would shake its head to dry the water and that is taken as consent and "yes" and next step would be chop the head off.

      Awful right? If someone sprays water on face, I am going to shake my head too if I cant find the towel.

      Delete
  9. So you can just politely decline to ancient cannibal gods? Oh, and here I am thinking it would take a little more fight than that!! My big question is, are the police prepared to help us if we do call 911 or is it better to just run??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, that's right.

      Rather than reaching for phone, I would first grab the salt and pepper shaker in his hand and then run for my life.

      Delete
  10. These ancient tales are off-putting.
    But I guess that all religions need their extremes ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that goatman. I try to finish off with funny moral to ease the cruelty and mood. But what to do, our human race evolved from beasts, and it had taken zillion years to become civilised.

      Yet people are fighting for right to kill Black people at sight, and people who cant act like whites. And these civilised crowd is donating thousands in tough economy to protect their warrior - the volunteer neighbor watch with mission to kill blacks at sight. I find this off-putting.

      Delete
    2. Well, its a bit more nuanced than that -- as most of life interaction is- but at least we don't make a practice of occasionally killing our children as the ancients did. (we only kill the children of others' now as "casualties of war". Isn't that an improvement?

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Just kidding, I can't do that to you! lol Here is the rest of my comment...

      Delete
    2. Just messing around! Haven't been in much of a reading mood. Sorry!

      Delete
  12. Tiger parenting...no kidding...wow MaMTC. I see all the references you make about not being like your mom to your children and now it becomes clear as to why you say that. Cultures are so very different, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, totally. I cant imagine myself doing or repeating things what my mom did to us, but I do have some Indians say that the abuse gave them and developed survival and tolerance skills, so they would follow the same parenting skills.

      When I see my mom, you maynt believe , I get this gush and rush of suppressed bad memories. Not a good feeling.

      I would rather prefer to be a mom my kids would hug when they see me, than a typical Indian control freak mommy whose feet has to be touched out of respect by kids.

      Delete